The name “Art Nouveau” is French for “new art”. It came around in the 1900’s.
It primarily covered:
- furniture design.
But its importance filtered through into fashion and fabrics.
The Style of Art Nouveau:
- sinuous, elongated, curvy lines
- the whiplash line
- vertical lines and height
- stylised flowers, leaves, roots, buds and seedpods
- the female form – in a pre-Raphaelite pose with long, flowing hair
- exotic woods, marquetry, iridescent glass, silver and semi-precious stones
Peacock feathers and flowers were the main look for the Art Nouveau movement.
So That’s Art Nouveau for you! Intricate floral and swirly designs with a little mix of peacock feathers… Fun Fun!